A few of our favourite weekday recipes
Make-Ahead Breakfast Bowls
Make these scrambled egg and sausage bowls the night before for a satisfying microwave breakfast that you can take to go on hectic mornings.
• 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
• 2 tsp. (10 mL) lime juice
• 1/4 tsp. (1.25 mL) each salt and pepper (approx.)
• 8 eggs
• 2 tbsp. (30 mL) butter
• 4 breakfast sausages, cooked and crumbled
• 1 cup (250 mL) diced tomatoes
• 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
• 1/4 tsp. (1.25 mL) chili powder (optional)
1. Mash together avocado, lime juice and pinch each salt and pepper; set aside.
2. Whisk together eggs, 1/4 cup (60 mL) water and 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) each salt and pepper. Melt butter in large skillet set over medium heat; cook egg mixture, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes or until eggs are set and soft curds have formed. Let cool completely.
3. Divide scrambled eggs among 4 microwave-safe food storage containers. Top with sausage, avocado mixture, tomatoes and cheese. Sprinkle with chili powder (if using). Seal and refrigerate overnight or for up to 24 hours.
4. To serve, microwave on high for about 1 minute or until heated through.
Note: Instead of sausage, use bacon or ham, or black beans for a vegetarian option, if desired.
Breakfast in a mug
• 1 slice whole-grain bread, cubed
• 2 tbsp. (30 mL) finely chopped ham
• 2 tbsp. (30 mL) seeded and diced tomato
• 2 tbsp. (30 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
• 1 tbsp. (15 mL) finely chopped green onion
• 1 egg, beaten
• 2 tbsp. (30 mL) milk
1. Toss bread with ham, tomato, cheese and green onion. Transfer to a microwave-safe mug. Whisk egg with milk; pour over filling.
2. Microwave on high (100%) for 60 seconds; let stand for 10 seconds. Microwave on high (100%) for an additional 60 seconds or until set.
Note: Use any of your favourite meat, veggies, and cheese to have a different breakfast each morning.